Thursday, March 3, 2011

Springtime ruffles - Momma version

      When I made these dresses, I decided I "needed" a me size version of the skirt. I used a very thin knit material so as not to add bulk to the skirt, and so I wouldn't have to hem anything. Here is what I came up with.

     
      If I were to do it again, I would make it an inch or two shorter. I could just cut that bottom because it is knit, but I'm afraid it would look funny if the bottom layer were shorter than the the top two. I might just do it anyway.

    
      I didn't take pictures of the sewing process, but here is a rough sketch of what you need to do if you want to make one.

       1. Sew up the sides of skirt.
       2. Sew up the sides of waist band.
       3. Ruffle first strip.
       4. Sew ruffle to top of skirt.
       5. Fold waist band down on itself so right sides are out ( it will be 6in now instead of 12). Sew to top of skirt. Note: if your material is very stretchy you may need to subtract more than 3in to get it to fit snugly on your waist.
       6. Ruffle and sew last two strips to skirt making sure that the ruffle above covers the top of the ruffle below. You can either top stitch it on or sew the ruffle upside down so that when it falls it covers your stitching.


     All in all this is fairly simple to make, just a little tedious with all the ruffles. It makes a fun skirt though!
Linking to:
 tea rose home link party
 Freckled laundry: Air Your Laundry Friday
Funky Junk Interiors: SNS 71
Be different Act normal show and tell saturday

9 comments:

  1. Love your skirt! The fabric choice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cotton jersey + ruffles = love. Thanks so much for sharing with Air Your Laundry Friday.

    xo,
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute skirt!! And it looks so comfy, too. I can SO see this being good "meeting friends at the park" wear...

    I linked to your tutorial at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-stretch-knit-skirt-with-rows-of-ruffles/2011/03/22/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling! Looks super comfy like the other skirt you made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I need to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl that skirt is so cute, and I think its perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wide are your ruffle strips? Did you make the ruffle strips different lengths? You say cut the ruffle strips 4x the width of the skirt. That seems really wide. If my hips are 40 how wide would I cut the ruffle strips? The bottom width would then be 45 right? Then the top of the skirt you say should be 40 and the waistband 27 in my case or 30-3. That is a lot of stretching to make it fit. Could you help me out so I don't ruin my fabric.

    ReplyDelete