Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Little Lady Skirts

     I happened upon a lovely sale going on at my nearest fabric store the other day. Love when that happens! Among my yummy new fabric, I purchased some fun polka dot material to make summer skirts for the little girls. The first set, made from orange polka dot, are variations of the simple circle skirt.

   
      You can find an easy tutorial for circle skirts from MADE. The larger skirt, a 2T size, is simply two circle skirts sewn together to form the two layers. Cut out one skirt just a little longer than the other. Put the shorter over the longer, right sides facing out.


     Sew elastic to the waist, and finish off the edges. I lettuce edged this one since I used knit material. I think this one would be fun to do with two coordinating prints or colors. I didn't have anything that matched orange on hand so I stuck to the same fabric.


      For the newborn size one, I only did one layer. I sewed the elastic on and then sewed ruffled ribbon to the edges. Ruffled ribbon might be my new obsession, LOVE that stuff!


     These skirts take no time at all to do and look just cute as can be on little girls.


     The other set I made is out of red polka dot knit.


     For the 2T size, I cut two rectangles and two longer rectangles. The smaller is about 4 inches wider than my daughter's waist and the bottom is about 5 inches longer than the top.


     I gathered the bottom section and sewed it to the top.


      I then sewed the front of the skirt to the back and made a casing with elastic around the top. I added a little bow to gathered waist and finished off the edges with a lettuce edge. You can use this exact same method to make an adult size peasant style skirt. They are very comfy!


      The newborn one is just a rectangle gathered with elastic along the top. I sewed ric-rac to the bottom to give it some fun.


      I think this will be a great Fourth of July skirt for the little lady, if I can come up with a cute top for it.

Linking to:
Sew Much Ado
My Girlish Whims
Goodbye City Hello Suburbs
Someday Crafts
Tea Rose Home
Sew Woodsy
Singing three little birds

8 comments:

  1. DARLING!!!! i love them:)
    thanks so much for sharing!!
    http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiya , love these skirts they are just adorable and i think i will try one for my granddaughter x is that lettue edging done with a serger /overlocker ? tfs
    happy crafting
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'd love for you to stop by and link up at Inspire Me Mondays! Linky up until Saturday!
    http://singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com/2011/06/inspire-me-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello: I have a question i dont have much experirence with sewing, but loving doing it. What is a lettuce edge.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute!! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I wish I had a little lady to put those on! Thanks for linking to WorkShop Wednesday! Can't wait to see what you are up to this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's it. Going to have a kid right now because these are the cutest things I've ever seen. SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's something about polka dot fabric on kids' clothes... you can't go wrong. All of your skirts look fabulous!!! I've used Dana's circle skirt pattern, but never thought to do one with two layers... I love it!!! My favourite is your 2T in red polka dot, with the cute little bow. I would love it if you would share this at our ongoing themed linky that's just for Girls' Skirts...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/02/threading-your-way-skirts-for-girls.html

    ReplyDelete