Monday, July 9, 2012

Chiffon Maxi Skirt Tutorial


      I really, really like airy, floaty fabrics. They may be a bit of a pain to sew with, but they are just lovely to wear. I've been wanting do some chiffon skirts to sell for a while now, and finally got down to doing it. I played with prints and a solid, and I liked them all!


      I decided to go with giving them a knit underskirt, and yoga style fold over waist bands. The stretchy knit underskirt helps it to to feel unrestricted and light.


       They were really simple to make, a little tedious maybe, but the concept is simple. The chiffon is a large rectangle...as long as you want and as wide as you want. I made mine 41 inches long and as wide as the fabric would allow. You would think that that much fabric gathered at the waist would be bulky, but it isn't a bit! It hangs really softly.


      One tip when cutting out the chiffon...you don't actually have to cut it. Just cut a small slit where you want the cut to be like so.


     Then rip it! It will make a perfectly straight, on grain cut without you having to do all the work!


     The underskirt and waist band were cut out like this. I made my underskirt 36 inches long. Notice that the waist band curves in at the middle. This it help it sit nice and snugly at the waist.


      Once you have everything cut out, sew the underskirt along the slanted side. Sew down the curved sides of the waist band. Sew the sides of the chiffon skirt. Sew a gathering stitch along the top of the chiffon skirt, and gather it to match the width of your underskirt.


      Slide your underskirt into the chiffon skirt. Line up the seam in the underskirt with the center back of the chiffon skirt.


     Sew the two skirts together. I used my new walking foot, and it was quite helpful in keeping all that fabric moving through evenly.


      Flip the skirts so that the right sides are out, and the underskirt is inside the chiffon. Pin on the waist band, making sure to line up the side seams and centers.


      You should have to stretch out the waist band quite a bit to match up with the skirts, so just go slow and try to keep the stretch even all the way around. I used my serger to sew it all together, and it pretty much hates thick layers of fabric. I had to go really slow, and just let it work its way through. I finished them off by using the serger to do a rolled hem around the bottom. If you don't have a serger, you could do a rolled hem on you regular machine using a rolled hem foot....or just melt the edges with a lighter. ( That way is rather prone to disaster, so I would recommend the machine way!)
      Several sizes of the printed ones are available at AJ's Boutique, and the pink will be available in my shop. I'm hoping to add a few more color options than just pink very soon. Speaking of my shop, I've decided it needs a bit of a clean out. I'll be clearing out some old stuff, and adding lots of new over the next few weeks.
     If you have any questions about the above tutorial, do please let me know, and I'll try to help! Have a great week!

  Philippians 4:8   Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

P.S. Just looking at the verse above...Did it ever occur to you just how little of what we... do/watch/say/listen to/ go to/think about...fall into these categories? Imagine how much more peaceful and in tune with God we would be if kept everything to these things? Just something to think about today...

23 comments:

  1. This is great! I have a ton of chiffon fabric in my stash. I may have to make one of these. Thanks for sharing (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip about ripping chiffon instead of cutting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! My mom used to rip for a straighter edge with certain fabrics. Me, not a good enough seamstress for this but it makes me want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! Love the chiffon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how sweet of you to share how you made that gorgeous skirt!
    So selfless.

    Well, I had a question and then found the answer in your awesome tutorial.
    I think it is amazingly gorgeous that you had the waistband and the chiffon in the same colors.

    Way to go girl and success with selling these beauties.


    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tutorial I am definitely going to be making one of these. I love chiffon and its especially great for the ridiculously hot summer we having here in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely and floaty fresh! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful skirt! Can't wait to make this! Must find some fabric!! I did pin this on my Pinterest clothes to make board!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful job. I absolutely love this skirt. I am your newest follower. I have a Blog Hop, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/surf-spray-and-wednesdays-adorned-from.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty! I would love for you to link to The CSI project this week for Refashions/Upcycles week. Each week we have a new challenge, new judge and new tutorials so come on over and link up!
    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your skirt is super and I love the bright lining.

    ReplyDelete
  13. whats the ripping for?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ripping just is easier than cutting it.
    Thanks,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! This is helpful I made my skirt with a shorter slip underneath BEFORE I found your tutorial on pinterest. I've just finished ripping seams of the lining and elastic from the chiffon so I can do it your way! However, I don't understand the pattern specifications. Hip/2 -2?
    Is that hip width plus 2 inches and -2 inches on the curve?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elena,
    Sorry about the confusion! That's hip measurement divided by two and then minus two inches. I hope your skirt works out well for you!
    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are you still selling these? I would love a pink one!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for the tutorial. Could you explain the instructions for cutting the underskirt? Is it twice the hip measurement at the top ? And is the lower edge twice the hip measurement plus 4" ? Thanks again I love the skirt in chiffon - so pretty! Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome! Can't wait to get started on this! Love the scripture! Totally agree! I'm new to the blogging game. If you get a minute, check mine out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! Themothergoose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. You said as wide as your fabric would allow. How wide did that end up being? And was it one continuous rectangle for the entire skirt, or did you piece two rectangles together? Thanks so much. This skirt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, i was wondering how wide the waist band is,.. i understand all other measurements,.. just not how the distance, I understand you minus 2 inches for the curb,...but it's that measurement i can't work out to make full rectangle and add curve.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is gorgeous! What kind of fabric would you recommend for the underskirt?

    ReplyDelete