Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Lace Pencil Skirt Tutorial


      So how do you feel about lace? I'm pretty much a big fan of it in pretty much any form. Its classic. I like classic. This skirt is easy and I'm going to show you to make it, because you're going to need one. And once you make one, you'll probably need to make another color.


       So, here's how its done. You need a yard of lace, preferably lace that has a nice edge. We like to skip hemming whenever possible. You also need a yard of lining. I stuck to neutral colors, but I think white lace over a bright color would be fabulous too. And lastly, you need enough 2 inch elastic to fit around your waist.
     Measure your hip and your waist ( or wherever you like the waist of your skirts to sit). Lay your fabric out folded in half. Cut it as long as you want your skirt to be. I cut my lining an inch shorter than my lace. I did the lining 20 inches.


      Now, mark with chalk your waist measurement at the top and bottom of the fabric. Half way in between mark the hip measurement.


      Now, curve out a line following those points, and cut it out. I use my french curve ruler for this, so that I make sure the line is all neat and tidy like.


       Do the same thing for your lace. If your lace already has a finished edge, make sure to measure up from the bottom rather than from the top.


        Once you have both skirts cut out, sew up the sides of each one.


      Put the lining inside the lace. Normally, when you do a lining, you would want the lining seam to face the lace seam on the inside of the garment. Lace is see through so in this case, you want both seams facing inward. That sounded confusing...basically, you want the right sides of both the lace and the lining to face out. Grab your elastic and cut it long enough to fit around you comfortably.


      Sew the ends of the elastic together.


      The way that is shown above is really not the best way to sew it together. Its neater if you sew it like a regular seam, and then fold the seam flat and sew it down again. Anyway, now you have a waistband of elastic. Next you need to pin it to the top of your skirt and lining. I like to mark the sides of the elastic with chalk so that I can pin it to the side seams accurately.


     I pin it at the side seams, and then the centers of both front and back.


      Sew the elastic to the skirt. You'll need to pull the elastic as you sew, and you'll probably need to help it through the machine with your other hand. I use my serger to sew the elastic. If you lower the cutting knife first, it sews on just nicely.


      That's all there is to it!


      See? Didn't I tell you that was easy?!


     Both versions are available in my Etsy shop, and the cream one will be available at AJ's Boutique. Happy Sewing!

Psalms 19:7   The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. 

19 comments:

  1. Came over from Sew Much Ado. That is just beautiful!! I love it so much!
    Ashleigh @ Live Gorgeously

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tutorials! I always want to make everything you show!
    Best regards,
    Carmen from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! Now I might have to make myself a lace skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I love it in the black lace with the nude lining. Very classy~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I love this. I have a great lace skirt I bought a year or so ago and I hadn't even considered making my own. Great tutorial (found you through My Girlish Whims!)

    Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful skirt. You have done a great job. I have a pattern that I made for these years ago, it makes me want to pull it out to make. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is pretty dang cool. I love that look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This skirt is so pretty! I hope you will consider uploading a photo of this into SewSet, a new on-line sewing tutorial and pattern search engine. I would love for others to be able to find it as well when looking!

    Thanks again, and hope you are having a great day.
    - Jess, SewSet.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Abby,

    Can you tell me if you serge your seams on the shift dress and if not do you use 5/8 seams? Thanks for a great tutorial.

    Carol
    cdeck21@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you use elastic lace, or regular lace fabric? I have seen beautiful laces out there....I would like to know what to buy before committing! Beautiful work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic! I love how pretty it looks. I may need to make one for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so pretty! I think I might just have to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think everyone needs a lace skirt. Wonderful tutorial.New follower.Stopping by to say Hi from the blog hop. Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I have been looking for a tutorial to make a skirt like this ! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know someone else already asked this but I don't see the reply....are you using stretch lace fabric and lining or regular woven? I really want to make this but want to make sure I include enough ease. Thanks~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Etcetorize,
    I used regular non-stretchy lace over a stretchy underskirt. The lace has enough natural give that it worked just fine. Hope that helps! Thanks,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  17. The main thing in creating this model is a very accurate and consistent execution of all the fouls, find writers online otherwise the result will be simply awful.

    ReplyDelete